Founded by Margaret Anderson in 1914, "The Little Review" published a wide variety of international literature and experimental writing, as well as early examples of surrealist artwork and Dadaism. The magazine's most well known work was the serialization of James Joyce's "Ulysses".
Content: Berg Coll. copy 2 of August 1918 issue contains printed bookplate: "From the library of Adeline R. Tintner"--Verso of front cover. NN-BGC
Statement of responsibility: Edited by Margaret C. Anderson.
Publications: First publication of Ulysses, by James Joyce: vol. 5, no. 11- vol. 7, no. 3 (Mar. 1918-Sept./Dec. 1920)
Content: Additional copies of vol. 4, no. 7 (2 copies) and vol. 5, no. 9, initialed and dated in ms by Lady Gregory (vol. 5, no. 9 also with ms. note by John Quinn). NN-BGC
Acquisition: Seven numbers, 1921-1929, gift of Yale University through the courtesy of Carl Van Vechten; some gift of Ettie Stettheimer. NN-BGC
Date/sequential designation: Vol. 1, no. 1, 3-9; vol. 2, no. 1, 4-5; vol. 4, no. 8; and additional copies of vol. 1, vol. 2, vol. 7, nos. 1-4, (autumn 1921), and vol. 9, nos. 1-4 are bound in 6 v. NN-BGC
Acquisition: Berg Coll. copy 2 of Aug. 1918 issue: Gift of Tintner/Janowitz, June 25, 1996. NN-BGC
Numbering: Monthly (irregular) Mar. 1914-Mar. 1921; quarterly (irregular) Autumn 1921-May 1929. Some mistakes in numbering. For details of publication see An Index to the Little review, compiled by K. A. Lohf and E. P. Sheehy. New York, 1961, p. 13-14.
Biographical/historical: First publication of Ulysses, by James Joyce: vol. 5, no. 11- vol. 7, no. 3 (Mar. 1918-Sept./Dec. 1920)