The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the U.S. in 1784. The first general conference was held in 1792 and the constitution was adopted in 1900. In 1939 the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). Collection consists primarily of records of Methodist Episcopal churches in New York City and vicinity with scattered records from churches in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York State, Africa, and Europe. Materials include correspondence, reports, minutes, church records (births, baptisms, marriages, deaths, membership, etc.), sermons, diaries and journals, financial records, literary papers, sketches, scrapbooks, photographs, and printed matter. Most of the records are from churches in New York City with lesser amounts from churches in the suburbs of New York City, upstate New York, and some general records of the Methodist Episcopal Church.