The publishing company Farrar, Straus & Giroux, Inc. was founded in 1945 as Farrar, Straus & Company by John Farrar and Roger W. Straus, Jr. After numerous changes in management and corresponding changes in name, the company became known as Farrar, Straus & Giroux, Inc. (FSG) in 1964 when Robert Giroux became editor-in-chief. The company firmly established itself as a quality publisher in the 1960s and 1970s. FSG remained staunchly independent of conglomerate publishing for many years. Even after selling controlling interest to the German publisher Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck in 1994, FSG maintained much of the freedom of an independent publishing house.
Content: The Farrar, Straus & Giroux, Inc. Records consist of letters, book manuscripts, contracts, photographs, audio tapes and catalogs chronicling the history and ongoing concerns of Farrar, Straus & Giroux (FSG) and its subsidiaries, Hill & Wang (H & W) and L. C. Page & Company. The correspondents include authors, editors, other publishing companies, literary agents, attorneys, distributors, reviewers, and fans. The letters concern royalties, reprint rights, promotional efforts, contract negotiations, copy-editing, book design, foreign sales, publication dates and other concerns surrounding the publication, distribution, promotion and reprinting of FSG, H & W and L.C. Page titles. Interspersed among the correspondence are contracts and manuscripts of stories, poems and essays, some of which contain authors' notations.
Extent: 377.21 linear feet linear feet (893 boxes, 182 microfilm reels)